Our aim is to encourage excellence in glass as a creative medium and to develop a greater awareness of contemporary glass worldwide.
The Contemporary Glass Society…
• Creates space for critical debates around contemporary glass.
• Promotes the cross-flow of ideas, information and news about contemporary glass via the website, publications, conferences and workshops.
• Forges links between all those involved with glass in an artistic, technological, manufacturing or support capacity.
• Helps promote and raise the profile of its members.
• Gives students a valuable focus point for information, experience and knowledge.
The CGS is the UK’s foremost organisation for supporting established artists, for supporting up-and-coming makers and for promoting contemporary glass in the wider art world. We’re a not-for-profit limited company by guarantee, open to anyone working with, or interested in, contemporary glass.
We have extensive connections with artists, academics, galleries, manufacturers and enthusiasts and a growing membership of nearly 700.
The CGS is the first port of call for information about contemporary glass. Our extensive knowledge and international networks mean we can help you source scarce materials, find exhibitions and events, or find workshops to improve technical or business skills.
The impressive www.cgs.org.uk website offers you your own text and image pages – a free and highly effective way of promoting yourself and your practice. We have around 3,000 visitors a month to our website and simple search facilities mean your work can easily be found and viewed.
As a member, you’ll receive the highly regarded full-colour quarterly Glass Network, packed with up-to-the-minute information and articles. And, because nothing really beats face-to-face contact, we regularly bring people together at conferences, exhibitions, masterclasses and celebrations that aim to keep contemporary glass at the top of the arts and crafts agenda, in the UK and beyond.
• Take part in CGS workshops, exhibitions, conferences, and other events.
• Receive Glass Network, our quarterly magazine, with information about glass-related events and exhibitions in the UK and worldwide. Members can contribute articles, news and book advertising.
• Feature in our membership list, accessed via the CGS website, with a link to members’ websites.
• Read reports on conferences, workshops and exhibitions organised by CGS.
• Receive a 15% discount on many products from Creative Glass UK at www.creative-glass.com or www.creativeglassshop.co.uk
• Get regular e-bulletins highlighting opportunities and events.
• Enjoy discounts on events and publications.
• Students also benefit from reduced rates for membership, workshops and conferences.
• Corporate and educational members also benefit from reduced rates for advertising in CGS publications and mailshots to all members and on the website. They also get a discount on attendance at one CGS event for one person each year.
CGS Equal Opportunities Policy 2008 (pdf 28kb)